Compassion and Wholeness
An invitation to engage with ourselves and others with care and curiosity
Hi! I'm so glad you're here.
My name is Jody Washburn, and I'm a teacher, musician, writer, nature-lover, and scholar. For the past few years I've been studying intersections between trauma studies, attachment theory, and Hebrew Bible concepts of shalom, compassion, and covenant love. I'm passionate about exploring everyday lived experiences of cultivating compassion for self and others in the complexity and beauty of being human together.
Have you ever wondered
- why we're able to listen generously to one story, but feel defensive when we hear another?
- what it actually looks like to love others well without losing ourselves?
- how to cultivate a soft heart without becoming overwhelmed, in a world where we have instant access to tragedies unfolding around the world?
- how to access existing resources to navigate the suffering that is part of our human journey?
Join me to reflect on insights from the Bible and neuroscience in a practical exploration of healing and human flourishing.
Choose a way to engage that fits with your needs and preferences
An introduction, with accompanying videos, designed for you to use at your convenience.
This interactive pdf workbook and accompanying videos introduce a conceptual framework for compassion cultivation grounded in biblical concepts and attachment theory. It can serve as a support and companion for wherever you are in your healing journey, and allows you to engage on your own time. Workbook includes hyperlinks and QR codes for videos, so it can be used on a device or printed, whatever best fits your needs.Purchase
Coming Soon: A Full 8-Week Course
This online course is being designed for you to engage on your own or with a group of friends. Once you enroll, you'll have immediate access to the introductory module, and then each week the next course module will become available.
Estimated release date: end of March, 2023.
Start planning now! Invite friends to enroll, too, and join each other on the learning and healing journey.
IN THIS COURSE
You will have the opportunity to explore:
- What various concepts from the Hebrew Bible offer to the study of compassion and wholeness
- Examples of how thinkers and writers in Christian theology and Jewish studies talk about the compassion cultivation journey.
- Practical tools for addressing burnout, boundaries, triggers, and other challenges we face in day-to-day life
- Guided reflections you can experiment with as you put together your personal toolbox of resources you find most helpful and healing right now
- How trauma wounding is carried in our bodies, and what we can do to expand our awareness of this in relation to ourselves and others
- Various ways to understand the relationship between compassion for self and compassion for others
- How forgiveness may fit in our unfolding healing journeys
- The other self-transcending emotions, including gratitude and awe, that are such important companions to compassion in our lives.
- Principles for cultivating a soft, open heart and also not being overwhelmed by the enormity of the suffering—our own or that of others or the world
This course is designed for you to engage on your own time in whatever way works best for you.
- Recorded videos and handouts will be posted each week for you to look at on your own time
- Practices will be offered in multiple formats
- You'll have access to course material for an additional three months after the last module drops, so you can revisit course material you missed or that you want to take more time with
Follow @compassionandwholeness on Instagram for quotes and inspiration
Find out about booking Jody Washburn for a workshop on compassion and wholeness with your group, in person or via Zoom.
Reach out here with some basic info regarding your interest and needs and Jody will get back to you as soon as possible.